Sunday, 6 January 2013

Ecotistic, how so?

So, first of all (because I'm a word-nerd), let's have the Oxford Dictionaries clear up the difference between the words egoistic and egotistic:

The words egoism and egotism are frequently confused, as though interchangeable, but there are distinctions worth noting. Both words derive from Latin
ego 
(‘I’), the first-person singular pronoun. Egotism, the more commonly used term, denotes an excessive sense of self-importance, too-frequent use of the word ‘I,’ and general arrogance and boastfulness. Egoism, a more subtle term, is perhaps best left to ethicists, for whom it denotes a view or theory of moral behavior in which self-interest is the root of moral conduct. An egoist, then, might devote considerable attention to introspection, but could be modest about it, whereas an egotist would have an exaggerated sense of the importance of his or her self-analysis, and would have to tell everyone.

(But you already knew that.)

Quite frankly, I find the egotistic aspects to blogging rather disturbing: the belief/hope that strangers would or should care to read about what goes on in my tiny world is surely a little self-invovled? Yet still I can't help but be excited to share my plans and how they unravel because I know I'm not alone in my thirst for non-conventional paths in life. There are thousands of people out there (you might be one of them!) who are becoming the change they want to see in society, who are taking matters into their own hands, and following their own hearts. The questions we need to ask ourselves, as Alan Watts so eloquently puts it (here), is What if money didn't matter? How would you spend your life if every door was open; if every possibility was available to you? What is your idea of freedom?

Freedom to me has little to do with making money and buying things. Of course, in this world, at this time, money is a necessity (no matter how evil), but most of us really don't need as much as we may have come to believe. As for things; clothes, furniture, houses, cars, jewelry, flat screens, and so on, I probably would not be happy with nothing, but we've made so much stuff in the last decades that it would last us for centuries.
Enough is enough. I've decided to stop talking and start acting: I'm discontinuing my big-city life and my well-paying job, leaving my fancy flat, selling most of my belongings, moving to a tiny red house in the country, working in a garden, building an even tinier house on wheels and, once that's done, joining a collective of friends who are living life to the full with less.

No comments:

Post a Comment