Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Light My Fire

One of my best childhood memories is arriving late on a rainy night to our summer house on the Swedish west coast; the century-old house damp to its core after a long, cold winter and rainy spring. My parents would light the wood stove in our bedroom and lie for five minutes in each of our beds to warm them up before we crawled in. The sheets would still be a little cool and damp, but we would lie in silence, listening to the crackle of the fire and watching the fluttering beams of light dance on the ceiling, before drifting into sleep.

I intend to have a small wood stove in my tiny house to heat it during the cold months (which are more or less six out of twelve), since it's really the most economically and ecologically friendly option - cozy factor aside. A couple of months ago I made a real bargain on Lauritz (one of  my idle pleasures in life) when having the winning bid on this little jugend gem:


Isn't it just gorgeous? I got it for only 2000 SEK (€230 / £205 / $320). The make is Swedish Husqvarna and it was released on the market in 1905. It is 77 cm high (just over 30 inches), 34 cm in diameter (just over 13 inches), and wonderfully decorated with daisies. I absolutely love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment