Wednesday, 13 November 2013

Hocus Pocus

You know that lovely, tired circus wagon of mine? It's gone. Yup. In two hours, two feisty men - whom I will refer to as the Romanian hurricane - powered through the barn where the wagon stood sleepily expecting nothing. Once they were done, this is what my future tiny home looked like:



It certainly took me most of the following night to get to terms with what had just happened. Even though I had given them my permission to whack it all down, because in the end it was all basically built with sticks, and with all the work it would take me to strip the paneling one by one, remove the rotten bits, and then rebuild and fatten up the frame to allow for better insulation, my unborn son would probably be starting school. So I am very grateful. It's a crazy amount of physical labor they've spared me - and they even sent two other Romanian chainsaw-friends yesterday to help me clean up the mess! Now it's just up to me to clean off the thick layer of what looks like 30 years of collected circus dust (or mud) from the trailer, and I can start with the actual building!

At first I felt like, why didn't I just start building on the trailer I already had? (remember that?), but I actually like this one so much more - I really like that it's bigger, higher up and the wheels are completely underneath the trailer rather than on the side of it, because then I won't have to build any sort of pocket for them and they won't interfere with the floor space. And buying the circus wagon, gutting it, and really seeing the structure of it has been a great way to better understand how to build something like it. All in all, I'm pretty sure the Romanian hurricane was a big win.

Here are some more pics from that stormy evening:




Now I'm going to brush my teeth and head up to the barn to document the somewhat healthier look that remains after the clean-up team did their magic yesterday. (I helped by sweeping the floors. I'm not completely useless.)

video

No comments:

Post a Comment